Friday, May 22, 2009

Hakuna Matata!

Once upon a time an amazing movie came out. The Lion King. Shortly after this...every Disney movie sent out into our homes went downhill. For some reason...this movie stuck out in my heart...maybe in yours as well.
As I sat and watched this movie I was reminded of how many awful messages are portrayed through the movies that children surround themselves with...but at the same time I realized that this movie portrayed a few great messages. We are reminded of who we are. Too often we focus on our faults, on the things that tear our relationship with Christ apart. I find myself focused on the lies, the things that speak against who Christ has created me to be. But...the adult Simpa is reminded of who he is by his father:


Rafiki
: [after guiding Simba to a spot where he says will show him Mufasa Mufasa] Look down there.
Adult Simba: [looks into a pool of water] That's not my father. That's just my reflection.
Rafiki: No, look harder.
[touches the water, as it ripples Simba's reflection changes to that of his father]
Rafiki: You see? He lives in you.
Mufasa's ghost: [from above] Simba.
Adult Simba: Father?
Mufasa's ghost: [apears among the stars] Simba, you have forgotten me.
Adult Simba: No. How could I?
Mufasa's ghost: You have forgotten who you are and so have forgotten me. Look inside yourself, Simba. You are more than what you have become. You must take your place in the Circle of Life.
Adult Simba: How can I go back? I'm not who I used to be.
Mufasa's ghost: Remember who you are. You are my son, and the one true king. Remember...

As I look to the relationship of Simba with his family. I see two things. First, I see a strong bond of trust, reliance and dependence. They worked together to provide for each other. Never was anyone left in the dust, never to fend for themselves or struggle, they are a true represnetation of family. Yet, they have their mistakes, they have ther faults. They challenge each other. But as Simba was reminded of who he is, he is challenged to face those mistakes he made, face the hurt and the pain of family. In a way...he sacrificed himself, his pride, his dignity to stick up for the truths he believes in.

Ok...so on a lighter note.....we all could use a good laugh...and this was the song I found myself singing as I walked through the apartment last night:

Rafiki: Asante sana Squash banana, Wiwi nugu Mi mi apana!
Adult Simba: Enough already! What's that supposed to mean anyway?
Rafiki: It means you're a baboon... and I'm not.

And who can forget our two favorite friends:
Hakuna Matata! it means: there ain't no worries!

No comments:

Post a Comment