Monday, August 24, 2009

A Walk In The Woods

I have always enjoyed hiking and trips in the woods. I have always enjoyed the outdoors and the wonders of God's creation. So a book regarding the Appalachian Trail was recommended to me several months ago. During this book the author and his companion begin to and complete most of the trail that runs from Georgia to Maine. As I read this book a lot of things that I had been taught about faith began to make sense. But, it was not until last night's discussion on what it means to stay focused on God and walk forward...did it all sink in. Every time Bryson and Katz veered from the main trail, it seemed other problems arose. Like the time Bryson lost Katz for a day and a half. It is like this in life too. If we stay on the path, looking forward at the perfect peace, we will move forward. But if our focus changes we begin to fall to the side. Our attitude changes, our feelings begin to control us and we lose sight of who God is and what he is doing in our life.
In the same way, we had talked about what it means to trust in God several months ago. If we deny the promises of God we are denying who God is and what he is doing in our lives. for me, this sunk in as I was corrected in recognizing the work God has done in my life. God has recreated relationships, torn them apart, destroyed them and rebuilt them on his terms. He has provided so much for me, financially enough to live on, relationships to support me, a house to live in and so much more. He has taught me to trust in him, to let him control my future, my emotions, my actions. He has given me a hope, a faith, something to trust in. He has given me the opportunity to love and serve others. Why shouldn't I be thankful?

So as I face today with worries, frustrations, burdens and who knows what else around me. But I put my focus on the Goal. I put my focus on what is ahead. I take each moment captive...living today moment by moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment