Saturday, January 12, 2013

Things I have considered...

I find myself doing a lot of "considering" these days. I consider how I should spend my time, who I should surround myself with. I consider what I "feed" myself and the things I am devoted to. But here are just a few things I have been considering lately...

What does it look like for me to continue finding my identity as a disciple of Christ while seeking to fully accept who I am as a person who has a disability.

This year I joined the Y so that I could get in shape and get back into swimming. But what I have been considering is how to connect with people, build relationships and serve the people I see at the Y. It would be easier if I was walking on the track or using weights. But when you are swimming your head is under the water and it is impossible to converse with anyone whole paddling through the water. 

Something I never thought I would consider is getting a guide dog. Let's not start rumors, I am NO WHERE NEAR ready to do so...but I have been thinking about it. I don't necessarily want the responsibility or the financial commitment. I don't necessarily want to devote the time...but I would have a companion. I would enhance my independence in traveling. And yes....dogs are a great conversation starter. 

What does it look like for me to serve my coworkers? My coworkers are almost entirely older than me and mostly by a significant amount. I actually thoroughly enjoy this. My coworkers have a significant amount of wisdom and experience. They have a gift, a gift they are readily giving to me and to any student or new employee that comes to our department. But as I sat in my supervisor's office yesterday and she began talking about curriculum's she had used...I had a desire to strive for excellence in my career and profession. I desired to be that source of knowledge and support for others to come. With this also comes a desire to serve my coworkers. I desire to support them, pray for them and be there for them in the good and the bad. I desire to be God's hands and feet in their lives...figuring out how to be this for each of them is the challenge in front of me. 

I have also been considering what it looks like to "be an adult". There are people in my life who consider someone who is stable in a job and living independently as "being an adult." There are other people in my life who consider "married (maybe with children on the way)" as being an adult. I don't want to be defined as an adult by a script. I want to be considered an adult because I have made it known that I know who I am and who's I am. That I have set a purpose for my life. I refuse to compromise who I am for anyone else's idea of what "adult" means. I refuse to play into that script, role or relationship. I will continue to be my God's and that is all that matters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment