Tuesday, November 6, 2012

2 Corinthians 12:9

"And He has said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.” Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me."  


I have struggled for several years now with the workings of my digestive system, the pain from headaches and seizures and the difficulties of all the other organs of my body that decide to revolt every so often. I have taken great time and energy to change how I view my body and what I feed it.  But sometimes it takes an outsider to see the principles that are being fulfilled in ourselves.

After hours and days a nd weeks and months of research, peer support and motivation as well as trial and error sessions I have completely altered the way I eat. This isn't some crazy fad diet but rather a change of lifestyle. As a principle (not a rule because some things are unavoidable) I don't eat any gluten, soy, dairy or processed anything. Prior to this food and my health were my weakness. I was afraid to and unable to leave the house at times. I was unable to work due to the pain and discomfort. Ok, yeah....you know...I've told you before. But a friend of mine helped me to think about this in a different way.
My weakness was transformed through God's transforming power into a strength to share with the world. It took trust in him, the support of my spiritual family and continuous prayer to get through to the other side. Eating in this healthy and new way became a discipline. Discipline is not something learned over night...it takes time, energy and perseverance. You WILL hit a dip, a point at which you don't feel you can get through. For me it was that even eating healthy didn't change how I felt. It was that I got bored eating and figuring out food. I got tired of planning and cooking and preparing and researching. But now, its a discipline. I don't, in general, crave all of these disgusting super "foods" that we fill our bodies with. For me...it became a strength.

Part of the love scroll states this:

"And most of all I will love myself. For when I do I will zealously inspect all things which enter my body,.... Never will I overindulge the requests of my flesh, rather I will cherish my body with cleanliness and moderation."

Let your weakness transform into a strength.




1 comment:

  1. I also don't think I would be where I am in that discipline without you walking beside me all the way.

    ReplyDelete