Friday, November 2, 2012

Life motto

Alright these are two really unrelated thoughts:

As an ice breaker I asked the question "What is your life motto?" I had many thoughts that I liked of my own....

1. I'll try almost anything once, some things I'll do twice...
2. Love God and Love others as yourself (yep...stole that from Jesus)

ok...I have lots of other thoughts of what are good life mottos...but I want to hear what others have to say.

Secondly my brain is a rattling after something someone shared with me. It made me think and wrestle through my choices and attitudes even more. When discussing Vision Loss it was described as a lack of privacy. For a "normally" sighted individual they get up and drive themselves to starbucks, order their favorite latte, fill up the gas tank, stop at the bank and deposit their work check. Then they head to the store. They pick out all the wonderful foods they want for the week and stop to get a pedicure on the way home. Alright. Say that is your typical morning. That would take you....maybe 3-4 hours.
For someone who has limited vision...its different. We all know if I were to do that it would take....all day...and I still wouldn't have gotten it all done. So ask someone for help...then think of this. The person who drives you knows what type of coffee you ordered at starbucks, how you paid for it and probably had to help you order it because you coudln't read the menu.
Then you head to the bank. Now that person knows what bank you use, your pin number if you needed help, and how much money you deposited or took out.
So we are at the grocery store. This person now knows every little thing you bought at the store, why you chose what you chose and how you chose it. They know the order in which you like to shop, the shampoo you use, the deoterant you wear, the tooth paste you brush with...o and if you are a girl they know if your menstrual cycle is coming based on the pads/tampons you bought and how much chocolate and ice cream went into your cart. They also know how you paid for your groceries and had to help you pick out these things, load them in the car.
Oh, and that pedicure? What's the point of getting one if someone is sitting there waiting for you? You constantly feel like you are holding them up and that is not relaxing.

All of these things you could have done with out someone if you had full sight....these things that no one will ever know about you. If I had a car and wanted to drive it to the end of the street and back, no one would have to know. But now....everyone knows when and why I go anywhere. Just made me really think.

Why am I concerned about this? Why do I care if others know these things? What do I have to hide? I guess its an extra set of questions I ask myself. And an extra set of eyes so I am fully conscious of all my actions, more conscious than the average individual. While it is incredibly exhausting and time consuming...maybe in the end it is for the better. Just my thoughts.

1 comment:

  1. I never thought about that before. I love that you help me think more deeply. And you help me see how I take gifts for granted when I didn't even know I had a gift.

    ReplyDelete